Green & Ethical Web Design
We do business responsibly, that’s the foundation of Make Hay and we wouldn’t do it any other way.
Our ethical policy outlines the kinds of organisations we will and will not support via our web design and green hosting services. This also shows our commitment to our own and our clients’ values and aims to encourage decision makers to think about the impact of where they spend their money.
The ethical policy is not meant to judge. If your business has not yet taken the steps to become greener or work in a more ethical way then working with Make Hay could be that first step.
Download our Ethical Policy (pdf)
Our environmental policy demonstrates what we are already doing in terms of green practice and provides us with clear ways forward to continually improve those practices. We review the policy every 6 months to check how we're doing.
Download our Environmental Policy (pdf)
Our Make Mail e-newsletter system provides a simple and effective way to manage your e-mail marketing campaigns. We work hard to ensure the system is credible and accessible by keeping spam to a minimum.
Download our Make Mail Anti-Spam Policy (pdf)
How Are We Green & Ethical?
We once wrote an article called “How Can a Web Design Company be Green & Ethical?”. Here’s a little run-down of how we do it:
- Our office uses a renewable electricity source and so does our website hosting.
- We switch off the electrical equipment we’re not using and have low energy light bulbs. There’s no point in wasting that wind power!
- We recycle as much as we can from the office. That’s stationery, furniture, computer components. For electricals we can’t re-use, we take them to a recycling centre so they can be disposed of in compliance with WEEE regulations.
- We don’t need to use much paper as we try to keep correspondence digital. But when we do need to buy paper goods and stationery, they’re recycled or FSC certified. Our business cards are printed using veg based inks too
- We shop with suppliers who have positive green and ethical credentials, bank with The Cooperative and advertise with like minded organisations such as Ethical Junction and The Good Shopping Guide.
- We use our ethical and environmental policies to guide our work. See our environmental policy for more about green practices.
- We support local community groups here in Nottingham. We are Wildlife Guardians at Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust, members of Gedling Fairtrade Group and sponsors of Creative Nottingham.